Map Image Legend Image

Iowa Weather Network Warnings Map

Iowa Weather Network Warnings Map

Winter Weather Advisory

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sept 21st Severe Storms hit with high winds and hail.

GRL3 Radar Image

Late season Severe Storms hit the area very late last night, with highs winds, heavy rain and hail, taking down trees across a widespread area in St Croix, Polk and Barron counties. The storms first formed in Southern Minnesota, and quickly raced north at 55MPH, They hit St Paul,MN with ping pong ball sized hail and high winds, shortly after they raced through St Croix and Polk, and Barron Counties producing high winds and small hail. Trees were reported down in Hudson and Turtle Lake, as well as in my area, and sign damage was reported in Centuria.

Healthy Tree down along 70th AVE near Clayton



The day was already an interesting weather day in the area, as we experience rising temperatures at night, as A very strong warm front moved north! It started out 58.F with drizzle at 5PM at my location, then by 2AM under clear skies, the temperature rose to 70.F with a heat index 77.F! It was a very weired experience, something I hadn't seen before. The air actually smelled different as the leftover hot air from Southern Minnesota pushed over, where highs were in the 90s earlier. Some places like Hudson actually went all the way to 77.F after starting out in the low 50s during the daylight! The warm front hovered over the area through evening, as a triple point moved closer. Around midnight this area became the focus for severe storms.


I first saw storms developing in Southern Minnesota south of the cities last night before I went to bed, Shortly after, I was awaken around 1:30 by loud thunder in the distance. I went up to check the radar and it wasn't long after this the NWS issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for my area for my area due to developing storms South of St Croix County that producing wind damage and were looking impressive. These storms were flying Northeast very quickly. They reached my area shortly after 2AM. I was sitting next to the computer when just ahead the storm the winds howled as a powerful southwest wind gust blew through, My wind gauge reported a quick 36MPH gust, right as the heavy rainfall started to hit. The lighting in these storms was very vivid and frequent, with a couple close bolts. The winds were strong enough to caused tree damage through-out my area. I seen multiple trees down dead, and healthy ones along the side of the roads. My Co-Worker said she nearly ran into one blocking the road earlier the next morning on Barbo Lake Rd.



Dead tree fallen onto part of Highway P

Although the strongest wind gusts were short lived, Trees littered the roads around Clayton. In my yard the damage was minimal, and included a 3 inch diameter dead branch, and near 1 inch diameter live branch down from a lilac bush.

I took this video still of web lighting as the storm moved away from me showing now vivid the lightning was.


Damage Reports

Hudson, Trees down

New Richmond 36MPH wind gust.

Amery 41MPH wind gust.

Clayton, Multiple trees down, including dead, and healthy ones. Some were blocking roads.

Clayton 36MPH wind gust.

Turtle Lake, Trees Down.

Centuria, Stop sign blown down.

Cumberland 36MPH wind gust.

3 comments:

Josh Herman said...

Great report, D. That radar still looks potent. All of the storms dissipated before they reached the Oshkosh area today. Was the rainfall embedded in these storms heavy too? What were some of the totals? Great lightning capture!!

Iowa Weather & Gardening said...

some of the rain was heavy. I got 0.44" some places in Menomonie got closer to an inch, which is why they put my entire region under a flood watch today!

Timothy Burr; northlandweatherblog.com said...

That was one heck of a storm on Monday, this whole month has been extremely ODD in terms of weather, I can't remember the last time we've seen this many low pressure systems affect the Upper Midwest during the month of September, usually the jet stream is much weaker during the month of September, but 2010 has been totally different! It really makes me wonder what kind of a Winter will have in MN&WI :) Great report Derek!